Saturday 21 August 2010

Bonding week three - It's happened!

A warm day, bunnies playing nicely in the small area in the garden, and I'm thinking "What if". So I removed the temporary fence and let them out free. It was truly amazing to see both rabbits roaming free in the garden, so happy and playful. Honey seemed like a different bunnie, so happy and alive, I haven't seen her like this since Judy died.

I stayed in the garden with them, just watching and enjoying the sun! Then I decided to start digging to remove the cover field and saw some new grass. In the meantime buns found some shade in the house and next time I looked they were grooming each other! That's how I knew I did it! I did what a lot of people said was impossible to bond a baby with an older rabbit. I suppose I was lucky, and Honey was desperate for companionship. Now she is happy again.

In the end of the day, buns took the stairs up to the flat together, and I held my breath for just a second. I looked at the bars and thought, I didn't need the cages anymore. I waited till the next day for a good measure and then cleaned them out.

Bunnies have a free run of the house when mum I'm there and can watch, but I separate them with bars in the doorway when I can't. Next stage of freedom will come after neutering.

Love in the wendy house

No comments:

Post a Comment